PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Flying and Training (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2003, 01:52
RoamingCyclic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obviously Flying an S76 Offshoreigor! One of the unfortunate limitations of our beloved machine - cross cockpit landings on difficult helidecks is almost impossible.

I had a night call out for a medivac a couple of years back during a Typhoon in a SE Asian location where I elected to leave the rostered night Co-Jo ( Local Chap ) behind and took another experienced Captain with me, a decision I was very pleased I had made as we had to make two offshore landings - 1 for Fuel the 2nd to pick up the patient at another location both in extremely difficult conditions.

As a training pilot myself I have mentioned several times that I believe that we conduct insufficient night currency training at offshore locations, true enough it is often difficult to organise with distance and time being a big contributor to accept the option of training onshore at the airfield instead, but at the end of the day in the companies eyes it always comes down to the $$$.

Perhaps its time the Operations Staff consider the possibilities and conditions when rostering inexperienced crews for night standby.