PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 21st Sep 2013, 17:51
Danny42C

clicker,

I think the explanation you youngsters offered to enquirers might have derived from a rather ungalant reference to the supposed BMI of the Aeroflot hosties !

I've heard of tail-scrapes on landings with the Vampire and Hunter ("Overdone the roundout a bit this time, Hoskins !"), though thankfully it never happened to me (and the Vampire's tail booms do come down rather low).

Purely my own opinion, but I think it is caused by an optical illusion created by the excellent downward field of view over the nose (certainly in the single-seat Vampire, probably with the Hunter). In this, the pilot (who might well have spent most of his earlier time with a huge nose blocking out all his forward vision) instinctively feels he ought to have more nose between him and the concrete, and over-rotates in consequence.

That being the case, an auxiliary wheel well aft should avoid most of the scrapes. (I would be interested in other opinions on this).

I cannot let this go without resurrecting a very old joke. Appointment to a captaincy on the VC-10 carried with it an automatic 'scraper' (or so we heard). Which invited the deflating enquiry: "Are you really a Squadron Leader or just a VC-10 pilot ?"......D.

Chugalug,

Thanks for the link. Have just got a little picture which I can make go round and round, but not much else. Daughter will be back home soon, will ask her to get me a street view. Her cousin was in those parts about 15 years ago, took a photo, the flats were still there then and as attractive as ever. Unfortunately have forgotten street number.

It wasn't a private road in our time (except possibly in being not adopted by the local authority).....D.

Cheers, both,

Danny.