PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetliners taxi by technicians
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2003, 00:01
Tempsford

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What on earth is going on?

Folks,
I had to check this topic to make sure that I was reading about Engineers taxying aircraft. It appeared that the thread of another topic had spread.
Alas, it does appear to have done so. Reading some of the posts it does appear to me that there is an element of 'baiting' and general 'mud slinging' that only serves to show that although we in the Aircraft Maintenance fraternity do realise the trials and tribulations that we (and our families) have to go through (not to mention the cost!) in order to obtain an Aircraft Maintenance Licence, there are others who either don't or do not want to.
I have just checked the wording on my UK CAA Aircraft Maintenance Licence to make sure what the wording is and that is what the Licence is called, the word 'Engineer' appears to have gone from the JAR 66 Licence. On the other hand, my Oz Licence still says Aircraft Maintenance Engineer Licence.
I find this whole tone of converstaion very sad, both from the viewpoint that some of those who chose to go on to University hold the Aircraft Maintenance Licence in and the confrontational approach that some of the Aircraft Maintenance Licence Holders are exhibiting. My brother went to Univeristy and gained an Aeronautical Engineering Degree, I did and Aircraft Technician Apprenticeship so I do feel qualified to be able to discuss either angle here.
To me, we all perform an important role. The roles are diverse, but the common ground is the aircraft.
I would like to meet the person who designed the Hydraulic Pipe runs in the A300 Wing Root area as I have doubted his or her parentage on many a dark, cold, wet and windy night when trying to fix a Hydraulic Leak. Seriously, I would really like to meet them!
At the sharp end we very rarely get the chance to talk to the folks that designed the aircraft that we are expected to provide a 99% on time departure for. If they asked us more perhaps it would make all our jobs easier. How many times has a Maintenance Engineer when having difficulty accessing a component, been heard to say 'the aircraft has been built around it'?
To an oustider reading these threads we must appear to them a disjointed and divided lot. They must also wonder at the tone of some of the threads and like me, despair that we either design or maintain the aircraft that they fly in.
Can I ask that we stop the 'us' and 'them' approach and attempt to find a common ground as I can see that continuing along these lines will only serve to divide the Aircraft Engineering Fratenity rather than unite it.

Right, now that I've got that off my chest, I will say goodnight.

Regards

Tempsford

Last edited by Tempsford; 16th Mar 2003 at 00:17.