PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First solo.
Thread: First solo.
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2013, 22:26
SpazSinbad

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
First Cat/Trap

'BomberH' mentioned first cat/trap. Not having carrier capable training aircraft and only one carrier, often in extended refit, new RAN FAA pilots (trained by the RAAF) had their first cat/trap in an A4G after Operational Flying School in same. [In the mid 1960s - for a year or so - as the RAN FAA was reconstituted for fixed wing again some new pilots were trained in the USofA so they were able to carrier qualify initially in T-28C Trojans before often going to helo school there and then back in Oz to Wessex and beyond (Iroquois in Vietnam).] Not forgetting that the first S-2 Tracker pilots/aircrew were trained in US/Canada so they had their first carrier ops there also. Anyway....

I was lucky enough to be able to do four hook up touch and goes aboard HMS Eagle a few weeks before doing my first arrest and catapult aboard HMAS Melbourne in an A4G. Luckily the aircraft was on 'autopilot' after that amazingly violent arrest (nothing like a short field arrest). Being completely flummoxed after that the aircraft somehow taxied onto the catapult to be fired down that 100-105 foot track quick smart [in under two seconds at about 5.5-6G av.]. Bloody Hell. That punch in the chest with a closed fist sensation was literally breathtaking. Nothing can prepare one for either sensation. FlyCo then sent me ashore to allow me to take it all in. What an amazing experience.

Last edited by SpazSinbad; 21st Sep 2013 at 03:04. Reason: additions