PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paper Plates!
Thread: Paper Plates!
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2013, 14:26
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
The more I think about it, the more it irritates me - even as someone who lives out. I'm getting fed up of the average serviceman, of whichever cap badge, being seen off by poorly written, one-sided contracts forced upon us to save money and get some shiny-arsed desk jockey a promotion and an OBE for their efforts.
I saw this coming in the 1990s when "New Management Strategy" (NMS) was introduced. In addition to the budget control being given to individual units, massive savings had to be found. It stopped the Squadron Commanders doing their proper job (i.e. commanding the squadron!) because they suddenly had to become accountants and save their careers at the word processor.

The last straw for me (18 years service) was when my leave passes were continually being rejected for no apparent reason except "exigencies of the service". I found out later there was no money in the budget that year for motor mileage so the Boss had come up with a cunning, career saving plan to deny people the chance to put in a claim. I gave back my uniforms in 1994. I took the leave owing, the resettlement course and everything owing to me. I felt fully justified in sending the station a bill for 28 days rate 1s in one of the most expensive cities in the world.