PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 type rating in the US
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2013, 10:16
Roj approved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O/S A320 rating

g'day,

I did mine at Aerostar in Orlando, great instructors, great equipment, great fun. look them up on Facebook or google them. They can sort out your accommodation also.

They send all the CBT and an interactive program of the cockpit, like a working Fixed base sim. you have to complete all the CBT before you arrive.

the course is 3 days ground school, then 2 Fixed base and 6 sims (from memory). The SIM's are all the latest LCD screens with the latest updates, so you can do RNAV, probably RNP by now.

Things to consider:

SIM buddy: if you don't have one, they will find you one. But, you may end up with a mismatch of experience/skill (think 200 brand new CPL guys/girls, English is there 2nd). You can do it with one of their support pilots, but you will then only do 2 hours per session, so you have had less exposure.

Engine types: they have the IAE V2500, if you are going to work for an operator with different engines it'll be up to you to learn those procedures.

Airbus SOP: Every airline says they are doing Airbus SOP, but from my experience, it is a fair bit different. Again, up to you to do the work.

CASA validation: IIRC they quote 8 weeks to put it on your licence, so you need to wait till you've got it on your license before you can start you training, 8 weeks is a long time!!

Extra SIMs: Seriously consider an extra SIM or 2, after all, its cheaper, so if you spend more you'll learn more. If you have any info from your new employer, or can get some of the SIM profiles and do these while you are there. Dual Hyd, Smoke or anything that involves flight law downgrade. It's a funny aeroplane, the more you see the better off in the long run.

If you have a job, and the operator has a preference, you might find it may be better to do it their way. Their provider will train you much closer to their SOP than a Airbus school. It is a lot of work to play catch up when you get back.

Pan Am in Miami only has a Cat C sim, so can't do Zero flight time sim, so you will need to find a Cat D sim or your employer will have to do it. (which they are usually don't want to do)

Make sure they are a CASA approved school, otherwise it'll be a nightmare to convert. If you have a FAA license, you can then convert that way. The other hurdle is the TSA. Because you want to learn to fly something, they want to make sure you aren't going to fly into a building, so it requires fingerprints, background checks etc. This all takes time and money, about $800 and 4 weeks from memory.

Otherwise, there was a Hooters next to my hotel!