PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Avianca A332, Santa Cruz fuel leak, lost 17 tons!
Old 20th Sep 2013, 08:46
Double Back

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mind You, fuel problems are not always easy to determine. Is it actual loss, or indication?

I remember one case in our CY when fuel was transferring in an absolute illogical way. It turned out piping form another tank that ran through the affected tank, leaked INTO that tank.

No checklist procedure coped with that problem, only aggravated the situation.
Thanks to one good thinking crew (and ACARS plus O/G technical staff....) they could find a solution and continue).

In defense: some remarks in this and other threads point to non-anglo or non "western" companies/crews as generally incompetent.
Having audited some of these companies (and also with former "eastern" countries) I have met real hot shot crews, extremely competent, well trained and above all motivated to perform excellent. And that in environments we only get bad dreams of.

"Western arrogance" I call it, and it is not fair to our colleagues whose cradles happened to be in another part of the world. And learned to speak English with an accent.