PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - QF near miss over Great Australian Bight
View Single Post
Old 20th Sep 2013, 08:18
Andu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't believe the continuing resistance from just about all quarters to mandatory offset tracking. It's not as though there haven't been well-publicised tragedies - (Saudia out of Delhi, Luftwaffe/USAF(?) pax flights off the west African coast, the Brazilian 'incident') - all of which would not have occurred if offsetting was encouraged or even better, mandated.

How many times a day do airline crew see opposite direction traffic pass EXACTLY over or under them? Before INS/GPS, we were all over the sky. (On the way back from Perth, I can remember one night seeing the TAA 727 supposedly on the same track as us approaching Mt Hope at almost 90 degrees to our track.)

Today, everyone is EXACTLY on track. We rabbit on about "the Swiss cheese model" in CRM and everything else in aviation, but with navigation, we daily allow all the 'holes' to be super-accurately lined up and rely upon the very last 'piece of cheese' - TCAS (forget about the human eye - without movement, you probably won't see the other aircraft until it's too late).

Standing by to be told (as I have been before when ranting about this topic) that I don't know what I'm talking about.