PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Paper Plates!
Thread: Paper Plates!
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2013, 18:29
Melchett01

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a thought that came to me as I was out running with the hounds, come Mess A/EGMs, why not table a motion of no confidence in the contractors running the Mess? I can almost guarantee you would find at least 2 people suitably hacked off to act as proposer and seconder - force the Mess management to account for their actions - or lack of.

And if the likes of Aramark, ISS etc are publically listed, why not start sending a contingent from the Mess to raise questions at their AGM? I know you would never get anywhere, but as the general public generally views the Forces in a good light at the moment, it might at least cause a bit of shuffling in seats in much the same way that the you hear of pubs being boycotted after banning service personnel in uniform after parades etc.

The more I think about it, the more it irritates me - even as someone who lives out. I'm getting fed up of the average serviceman, of whichever cap badge, being seen off by poorly written, one-sided contracts forced upon us to save money and get some shiny-arsed desk jockey a promotion and an OBE for their efforts. There's bugger all we can do about kit, and even less about pay and pensions, but damn it the Mess is something we can and should kick up a fuss about. Assuming we are still bound by QRs to be Mess members, and seeing as we have to pay for the privilege, if the contractors want to treat the Mess as a commercial concern, then 2 can play at that game. You wouldn't put up with an awful meal served on a paper plate in a restaurant that has also charged you for admission so why should we put up with it in OUR Messes.

It's time to start lobbing a few grenades at Mess A/EGMs. It worked at Army HQ a couple of years back when we voted with our feet and the contractors called an EGM to complain they were losing money, so there's no reason it can't work again. A few votes of no confidence at AGMs and I bet you people will start to take note.

Last edited by Melchett01; 19th Sep 2013 at 18:29.