PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Which Multi-Engine route?
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2013, 13:24
Force For Good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While the C130 / A400M route would be top in terms of the 'military flying', and variety that it would entail, I wonder if turning down the C17 or Voyager (hypothetically speaking) would be a sensible decision for the long term, considering a transition to airline flying in later life. The difference between turboprop / turbofan experience seems to be viewed quite significantly later on.

32 Sqn seems almost like the best of both worlds in that it involves some interesting military taskings and locations but also on a jet fleet with crossover to the civilian world. Sentinel probably not as interesting but again with an obvious advantage of it's civil operators.

Glass Collector

P-8A Poseidon?
I thought you were joking at first, but having had a proper read around, sounding very interesting, I imagine lots of flying in circles again though!

I definitely agree with the opinions of Basil and pitotheat and wouldn't want to make a choice (if presented) based on a commercial TR but at the same time not wanting to shoot oneself in the foot by turning down a sensible career option for a 'fun' one.

Holding?

I am on an AEF where we have a holding pilot aged 27 awaiting a Hawk Course.

One of the pilots he did basic with got axed with the 170 pilots and is now a qualified Airbus co pilot at Manchester. I have flown with him so...

Depending on how much holding one gets on the multi route I would suggest you bin the RAF right now and get on a CTC course this year.
You guessed it, with an average of just over 3 minutes of flying per day since joining. Believe it or not, I was on an ATPL course for a month before I quit when my IOT offer finally came in (explaining this is a long story, but it was a carefully considered decision). I had to pay my way out of the contract to join the RAF, so going back there is not high on my list of plans. I managed to survive the cuts in 2011, but know plenty of chopped mates who now fly 777 with Cathay and the like. The ATPL mates of course all now have 2 years under their belts as Commercial FOs.

27 and still holding? Explain the fun in that?
26 and still on Tutor...I do agree to an extent. However, the experience I have already had with the RAF despite it being one of the darkest periods in terms of cuts (literally in the case of Harrier and MRA4) has exceeded expectations and would've passed me by if I was flying with EasyJet etc.

Thanks all for your input, all appreciated and some interesting points to consider, should I find myself in a situation involving choice at the end of the next course...