PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 19th Sep 2013, 13:11
HeliComparator

Received 39 Likes on 21 Posts
SAS first of all, to get it out of the way! Both SKY and EC / CAA have been working on automated rig approaches. All credit to SKY for getting there first, although I don't know how good it is in practice. Both systems will get the helicopter to the missed approach point which will probably remain at 0.75 in EASA land, or maybe squeeze down to 0.5 miles. But that is the easy bit especially with the likes of the 225's superb autopilot operation.

The tricky bit comes when the pilot has to take control and get the helicopter from the MAPt to the deck, maybe starting from only 50' above the deck (so no sight picture until the last moment).

As I think has been mentioned before, there have been no accidents during the IFR part of a rig approach, so these developments, whilst welcome, are not going to make a step change in safety since they are addressing a risk that has yet to ever become an accident.

Where SKY lag is in their minimum coupled speeds for the bit from MAPt to the deck. 50 (or is it 55, can't remember) into a typical 15 kt headwind gives 35-40 kts minimum coupled ground speed.

By contrast the 225 can be coupled to IAS down to 30 kts, say 15 kts ground speed, and ALT hold works perfectly down to zero speed. So currently I would say the 225 is by far the safer heli to make a rig approach in marginal conditions. Yes the automated approach sounds great and no doubt comes with a glossy sales brochure, but its contribution to flight safety is limited because it doesn't address the most challenging bit.