PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VISION THREAD (other than colour vision) 2
Old 19th Sep 2013, 10:14
josephfeatherweight

Received 58 Likes on 23 Posts
FAA Visual Acuity

Hello all,

I currently hold an Australian (CASA) Class I medical certificate - the visual acuity requirements stipulated by CASA are better than 6/6 (20/20) vision binocular and better than 6/9 (20/30) in each eye (corrected or uncorrected).
My eyesight is 6/5 in my right eye and 6/9 in my left due to a diagnosed astigmatism in my left eye. As this meets the CASA requirements (my binocular vision is 6/5 also), I do not wear corrective lenses.
I am considering undertaking an FAA First Class examination and note that the visual acuity requirement for each eye (corrected or uncorrected) is 20/20 (6/6). At this stage I have advice that corrective lenses may not be capable of correcting the acuity in my left eye to 20/20.
I am aware of an FAA "Authorization" being granted for some medical conditions. I am also aware that the form 8500-7 allows for a ophthalmic report to be assessed by the FAA and consideration given to things such as "quality of binocular vision" etc.
This leaves me with two questions which the community may be able to assist with:
Does the FAA ever grant an "authorization" for less than 20/20 vision in one eye for a First Class medical?
Has anyone had LASIK performed for an astigmatism condition?
As I am in Australia, the options of organising a Statement of Demonstrated Ability would be difficult and expensive to organise - and I don't know if they do these for First Class Medicals for visual acuity anyway...
Any other advice would be gratefully received.

Last edited by josephfeatherweight; 19th Sep 2013 at 21:50.