PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2013, 09:36
SuperJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Career Launch at 'advanced age'

Just wanted to respond a little to what Genghis says.

We all have differing experiences, but I would agree with what most of Genghis says, from my own experience.

1 - Absoultely agree that raising a family and doing your flight training is entirely possible. It is workable.

2 - There is a natural and understanable hesitation in changing career in your 30's (or 40's, or....) as you have invested your time in one career, and built a life on that basis, including for some, a dependent family, so, I do not agree that you "don't want it enough". I have made huge efforts at a few junctures in life to embark on the flying career, and have been "shot down" a couple of times in a major way, which can severely delay progress. I see it the other way from Genghis, though I fully respect his views, and that is that the fact that as you are seriously considering taking this risk at this time, means to a certain degree, you are committed. If you weren't, you would shy away from even considering this risk. That said, the desire and need to do this, has to pound through your heart and soul, or, this industry will sweep aside the un-committed.

3 - There is a golden nugget of advice in what Genghis said, and I applaud him for this. Do your PPL. Don't even think about it. Don't finish today without signing up for a PPL course. Do it. It is your first step in any case, and it will teach you whether you are made out for this career or not. Not everyone is. When I completed my PPL, way back in 2009, the feeling I had has not been matched to this day. Beyond words. Just do it. You will not regret it. Sign up asap.

4 - Airlines prefering the Integrated cadets/courses? Not any more. it was a flash-in-the-pan many years ago, because the airlines tended to have a hand/measure of influence in the course content and structure. These days, that premise is dead. I would say, in your circumstances, go modular. Its more flexible, less of an all-out commitment, and you can move FTO/TRTO if you're not satisfied with the training you get more easily. I hire pilots as part of my job, and I give brief attention to where they trained or on what kind of course, and focus 90% on their hours, accomplishments, length of service, types flown, progression, etc. IE: how have they managed their career progress? And as Genghis also says, very correctly in my opinion, employers tend to see if youre appropriately rated and experienced, and thats it. The next place/opportunity for you to fail to get the job comes at interview, where your commitment to safety and your tech knowledge will be tested. Last stumbling block is personality. You can ace the requirements, the tests, and still be a total *******, thus your attitude and self-presentation will be a deciding factor.

5 - The combination of Engineering/Maintenance and Flying Experience is a concept I have been pushing for a long time. I feel that Engineers and long-serving Operations Officers/ATC/Dispatchers make the best future-pilot candidates, because they are exposed and tailored to the requirements of a commercial operation already. Engineers especially, as they already know the workings of the equipment, the limitations, the requirements, the documentation, etc. I would say you already have an advantage, which is one more reason to go for it!

6 - Bored? Bored in the cruise? In all honesty, that is the least of your concerns. There is ALWAYS something going on on the flight deck, routine or critical, otherwise, something is wrong. I once walked onto the flight deck of a Monarch B757 from LGW-SSH, and found the crew sat with their feet on the console, reading novels! Shocking. Thats not how I was trained to behave on the flight deck, cruise- or no-cruise phase! Perhaps I am wrong...

7 - The is a constant debate about the number of jobs versus the number of applicants. I prefer to look at the positive on this. Airlines are ordering big. Huge orders. Lots of airframes coming. Some manufacturers have massive backlogs on the assembly lines. Demand there is outstripping supply. This is a good thing. Unlike in 2008-9, where 'discounts' on cancelled orders were up to 25% to move the airframes off the assembly line, once initial 'optioner' pulled out. I can see a large number of varied flying roles being advertised all the time. Airlines are gently lowering some entry requirements on certian fleets, and gently increasing the benefits in contracts, to attract pilots. many are now quoting "No type rating necessary" or "type rating supplied by company" or "Improved contractual conditions" or "Immedaite Start". Put all that together, and it seems positive. Also, I have even offered roles to out-of-work crew, and they have rejected the offer of work, and remained unemployed, waiting for something "better"... being picky! So, there must be a degree of comfort felt there.

Hope this helps. This is all based on my experience and knowledge. There will always be those with different experience, and that is equally valid.