PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Procedural Approach
View Single Post
Old 19th Sep 2013, 04:29
Sqwak7700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Philippinos Airways?
Actually, I've personally heard a Cathay tripple get reamed out and asked to contact the tower upon landing because they did not fly the procedure from LIMES. You would be surprised how poor the instrument procedures knowledge is amongst some of the crew here in Cathay. I think it comes from the fact that turnover is low, so it has been a very long time since any of these guys have reviewed them or studied anything that is not in a company manual.

caspertfg, no, your understanding of "procedural" is correct. The problem is probably multi-faceted, as is the range of airlines that you get in HKG. But you could kill at least 50% of your problem by making sure the local carriers understand what "procedural" means.

I must admit though, than when it comes to altitude compliance, the industry has really muddied up the waters beyond recognition. There has been so much flip-flopping in regards to compliance with published altitudes that a lot of confusion has spread, and now the only option is to confirm with the controller. I wish this wasn't so, but unfortunately, it is. If the industry would just agree to follow one standard then this whole mess could be avoided.

IMHO, the altitudes published on the ILSs to the 07s are required if cleared for the procedure. At least, that is how I would interpret it. It does not make any sense to do it otherwise since an approach clearance means you need to descend. The only way to know how to manage that descend is by the approach plate.

Please also bear in mind that Cathay (and maybe Dragonair as well?) has recently switched to a terrible chart provider that does not even come close to the quality we had with Jeppessen. These charts are so useless that we actually carry a critique form to fill out on all flight in order to point out the mistakes - sometimes pretty large ones. This has led to a bit of second guessing these charts, especially when they differ from the old Jepps.