PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 18th Sep 2013, 15:26
nunofrednunes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grrr The perpetual question... with some twists!

First of all i would like to thank everyone who goes through the trouble of reading what I'm about to write, even more to those that take their time to share some experience and knowledge.

I found out about this forum in my "national" aviation forum (in which I cannot, for the life in me, understand why registration is closed) and decided that although "stranger's" opinions shouldn't be the fuel for my decisions; might as well be a larger field of "stranger's"and make it statistically more valuable from a sample point of view. I have read most of the earlier posts in this thread (also a lot in the integrated Vs modular thread) and decided to post my own question because of a combination of twists that (i think) make my situation different than most.

The question is the usual one: I'm 33 and after earlier attempts (failed for financial reasons) to launch myself in a pilot's career, now i face what is probably the final time in my life where i consider a career in the aviation business. Should i do it??
Since very early in my life i was drawn towards complex machines, particularly airplanes, because of their combination of things that i love: mechanics, physics (in a very practical sense), need for human performance... and after realizing that i wouldn't be a good candidate for the military life as a pilot i tried to turn towards the civilian side of aviation, only to be stopped by the prices of this education, lack of family support and no real chance of getting a bank loan.
I studied Sports Sciences (the human body is the most complex machine...) for 5 years, became a P.E. teacher and coach, did a masters degree in youth training for another 2 years and was starting to settle my professional life in order to fulfill my dream with a PPL (HERE COMES THE FIRST TWIST) but after that, my lovely country in all its professional fairness decided to blow up my future and instead of advancing in my career i am now unemployed and loosing most perspectives of having a job worth keeping in the sports and P.E. world...
On another end, fate has proven that it is trying to tempt me and (HERE COMES THE SECOND TWIST) through my saving of money and some inheritance money i am now able to pay for the aviation education (even the instructor part) without getting myself in a loan situation.
Lastly, although not being a real twist from the most common intentions in this type of question, I'm not focused on a particular side of aviation careers. I would probably be very happy as a flight instructor (I'm already a teacher!), an A380 captain and anything "in between and around". I just want to fly and have a decent paycheck in the end of the month. This can be particularly important since i wouldn't have to keep paying a loan after getting a job flying.

Although not very fresh, i think my physics and math knowledge are enough. The English language is almost like a native one to me.
I have a wife but no children, and she's also in the same professional situation, being a teacher...

It may seem that the obvious choice is to go for it but the last thing i can do now is act on my passion alone and forget rationality. It is enough money to pay for my house mortgage, buy another house to rent or even start a small business in order to get myself out of unemployment.

Any thoughts?