PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Firemen Strike
Thread: Firemen Strike
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2013, 23:00
mopardave

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts
Thanks for that davejb.

Al R.......not sure what the improvements to the pension were.....they must have passed me by. It would appear that you are some kind of financial advisor so your grasp of pension law is better than mine.....but I suspect my insight into the day to day realities of being a firefighter are better than yours. I agree.....some things have to change.......you're pushing at an open door. What I don't like is when those that pay into the system are the first to get kicked.....whether they are soldiers, firefighters, nurses.........whoever. I am aware that anomalies exist with forces pensions.......and that's not right. It was fine back in the eighties, when our pension scheme was in surplus, for local authorities to build schools and roads with the money.......but now that things aren't so good, let's look for an easy target eh. I think anyone who signed up to a pension arrangement should have it honoured.......otherwise it's not worth the paper it's written on. I, personally am at odds with the FBU.......whilst I'm a member, I'm not really a unionist.......agreed, there has to be change.....but you cannot seriously deny that this and previous governments have squandered, and continue to squander countless billions.....so shall we just forget about that? Change needs to come at all levels. Some of us are well aware we have a good job......not a particularly well paid one, but it's one I love. I would also love for those that knock us, to come and see what happens when we get our nastier jobs. And before you say it, I know my job doesn't compare to that of a young squaddie who's seeing his mates blown to bits and it is a national disgrace that our armed forces personnel are treated the way they are........my son is a former Royal Engineer.....so it's not me that has to change.......it's the shameful politicians that have squandered this countries wealth.