PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - F-35 Cancelled, then what ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2013, 22:49
kbrockman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let's forget about STEALTH

Let's forget about STEALTH, and do the next better thing.
STEALTH won't safe the day, Speed however could be the better answer;
Think Fast | Defense News | defensenews.com
WASHINGTON — For much of the past decade, the buzzword A2/AD — anti-access/area-denial — has been closely linked with stealth technology. But with many nations slowly developing their own stealth capabilities, the US Air Force is looking for new advantages it can create to counter a foe’s A2/AD threats.
“So what comes after stealth? I’d argue part of the answer is speed.”

Stealth technology is based on a simple concept: If the enemy doesn’t know you are there, he can’t stop you. Speed, Lewis argues, takes that calculus and turns it on its side. A platform or weapon coming in at extremely high speeds will likely light up a radar system, but it’s also coming so fast that an enemy will not be able to react in time.
“I don’t know if in 20-30 years stealth or speed will be the best way to penetrate defenses,” he said during a Sept. 3 speech. “But I do think it is a critical issue that needs to be taken [into] account.”

“At a time when there was a lot more money available, it was OK to say all forms of solving the problem should be investigated,” he added. “At a time of fiscal austerity, I think it’s important to prioritize the option that carries the least risk of failing to fulfill military goals. The question is comparing risk.”