PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Flying and Training (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2003, 10:18
offshoreigor

It's not just an adventure....
it's just a job!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Night Offshore Helideck Training

Hello All, sorry I haven't contributed in a while, but my girlfriend goes nuts everytime I go near the computer! I'm safe here in the United Lounge in Hong Kong, she'll never know!

Just completed some initial night deck training with a Local CoJo and I am glad that I insisted that the other Ex-Pat I was training, remain in the back for the initial training , the co-jo had great difficulty in landing Actually, two over shoots at almost Delta fuel!

What it boils down to is that if you are involved in the initial or recurrent training for offshore night, you should consider having a competent pilot along as safety pilot for the landing seat.

In this case, we had 14-18 kts of wind , left seat at night and running down to alternate fuel. The fact that I had a competent pilot in the back seat, I was able to get him to swap seats with the initial trainee and safely land the AC without having to divert to the land alternate.

This has given several of us a reminder that when you are on night standby , you had better think about which seat you will fly on a night callout with a local pilot that has not received sufficient training.

We all pay lip service to this duty and have thankfully not been called out. Maybe it's time our respective companies look at some serious expenditures on training of new hires, ie Flight Safety Night Rig, or actual aircraft on sight.

Cheers, OffshoreIgor