PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2013, 19:46
Lonewolf_50

Received 425 Likes on 267 Posts
Thank you, A squared, I have flown approaches into VMC from VFR on top, and from in the goo into VMC. I've also flown to mins, had to divert due to wx, and missed approach when runway not found. All the good fun one can have flying IMC.

Flarepilot, I likely taught some of the people you now fly with how to land for the first time in their lives. I taught instruments for enough years, fixed wing and rotary, for long enough to understand the environment.

A squared, you may note that you did not respond to the question I was asking. I was asking why the poster in question was demanding VMC minimums for an INSTRUMENT approach. Question not answered, by you nor by him.

I am aware of the industry preference for stabilized approaches in heavies. It makes sense. What doesn't make sense, unless you make it a company SOP, is to arbitrarily adapt the suggestion I responded to with that question.

Aircraft are far MORE capable now in the IMC environment than they have ever been. That isn't a reason to raise the minimums, unless you don't actually know how to fly your own aircraft, and unless you don't actually know how to fly an instrument approach.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 17th Sep 2013 at 19:52.