PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2013, 16:35
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PJ2
We accepted definitions of ourselves and our work as given by others...by outsiders to our profession...
Hi PJ2,

I agree with what you're saying except to note that your profession is not the only one in which this has occurred in the last few decades. Creeping managerialism has had this effect on pretty much every shop-floor role and profession, as the MBA generation try to hammer every business and operations model into one which can be reduced to basic units of work which can be made easily transferrable in order to maximise cost-efficiency and, ultimately, profit.

What I see from some posts on here is somewhat putting the cart before the horse - working backwards from the introduction of automation and improvements in technology to form a theory that management, finance and engineering colluded to throw pilots under the bus. This simply isn't true, as your previous posts have alluded to. The effect on pilots (and other affected professions) is simply a side-effect of the general push towards management-centric operation that I described in the paragraph above.