PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Cessna 172 is too difficult to land...
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2013, 12:21
3 Point

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Generally agree with most of the comments here about landing tricycle gear aeroplanes and protecting the nosewheel but I am not in favour of holding the nosewheel off till you reach full up elevator then letting it fall of its own accord. Indeed, I'd go so far as to say this is bad technique.

If you hold off till you run out of control and then let he nosewheel fall out of control it can come down with a bang - not much mechanical sympathy there! You should really fly the nosewheel onto the ground before running out of control. Usually, if you hold a constant elevator position once down on the two mains and with the nosewheel still held off the reducing airspeed (and consequently reducing elevator effectivness) will allow the nose to come down gracefully to a smooth touchdown. Doing it this way means you still have some elevator authority to "land" the nosewheel if required and stop it crashing down with a bump.

Similar commets apply to wheeler landings in a taildragger. I've heard people (and in fact, one otherwise very well written book) advising that the stick should go progressively forward till it is full forward and the tail drops of its own accord. Makes no sense to me to try to keep one wheel airborne until you lose control and it comes crashing down! Hold a constant elevator position and let the tailwheel descend gently as the airspeed reduces. You then have some elevator authority in reserve in case you need to cushion the tailwheel touchdown.

Happy landings

3 Point