PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does bodybuilding bad for Pilots ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2013, 08:13
AV83R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DP,

Last time I did a composition test was for the Navy half way through my last bulk I was 18%. Now cutting I want to get down to 12%. I don't follow the stringent diet common to that of BB ie. 6 meals a day, 1g protien per 2lbs weight or whatever it is.

I think I've rerached the maximum weight that I should in all fairness. Otherwise I'll be too wide to fit in the seat, a 42inch chest on someone who's 5ft 7 looks a bit funny too.

I'm unsure how I'll continue with training once I start my CPL training, with wanting to live my time in the US, studying and flying, it will be difficult.

Luckily I find it quite easy to shred, I did 11KG of pure fat in Oct-Dec 2012 and I've bulked from 196.4 to 207 in an 8 month cycle and now cutting until my move to Florida.

I train every day, both when bulking and cutting, isolating muscle groups to avoid overtraining. I find that training every day keeps me alert and a feeling of well being. Which I imagine pilot could only benefit from.

In regards to certification and in effort to stay OT, I think it will vary for each person. Certainly in my experience, limited as it is, if I go to the quaks for a medical/fitness test, they very rarely question my BMI and weight. If you are somone who is clearly demonstrating an active sporting lifestyle, which causes an increase muscle percentage, then the Dr's seem to appreciate that.

I comment on numbers but I think might take it off topic.