PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The perpetual 'Am I too old?' thread
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2013, 06:03
SuperJet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The perpetual Am I too old thread?

I am getting tired of the debate raging on when a prospective aviator is 'too old' to launch a career in aviation.

I have had 'old crusties' looking at me, in my mid-thirties, saying "Ah son, you're too old now. Better give up and do something else"

I have had the younger "upstarts" boasting that they have 8-10 years advantage over me.

Either way, it's never nice to have someone telling you that what you have been fighting for, for many many years, is now beyond your reach.

Peronsally, having put in 12+ years in operations, commercial and other aviation fields, and having achieved a PPL under JAA and 130+ hours, thats not a bad way to go so far. Yes, time is always against self-training pilots, but, it begs the question - when IS it too late?

I know a gentleman Captain from the Scandinavian region, who kicked off his career in his early forties, and blasted through his training, and straight into a job. Currently, as he approaches fifty, he is flying a gorgeous private jet round the world...

On the other hand, I also know people who have given up in their late twenties, because of cost, time, and disillusionment...

Either way, the preconceptions about age are saddening.

What do we think about this? Is a mid-thirties person too late to get flying? Doesn't necessarily mean flying an A380 straight off the bat, but even small commercial ops, like sightseeing, parachute drops, seaplane tours, commuter hoppers...

Would love to have some opinions... bonus points for up-lifting positive opinions!

Cheers all

Last edited by SuperJet; 17th Sep 2013 at 06:04.