PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - air canada pilot
View Single Post
Old 17th Sep 2013, 01:40
altiplano

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
... and apparently on top of it all these super things Cathay guys sure have class too... jeeshh...

Comparing widebody to narrowbody captain/fo wages is apples to oranges. Different operations there. WB to WB on a cost of living/quality of living comparison I think AC does pretty fair.

Do Cathay pay more than AC at top levels - sure and it's a great gig for many. But lot's of sacrifices and uncertainties...

Live in HK - kinda fun for a few years but expensive to live in a shoebox, not such a great place to raise a family and chances are unless you're single your wife will have to ditch their career. If you're into whores and booze though great place to be.

Little protection if something doesn't go your way... ie. failed ride/upgrade, closed base, conflict with captain/trainer/manager... WAWCON has been on a constant decline aswell...

... plus you have to put up with a culture that has a stick up it's ass.

Lot's of people get what they want and bail, lot's get trapped and can't find a way out... I heard recently many newish hires are bailing back to home countries.

I guess it's choice...

a life full of sacrifice for a few bucks more or...

a life living where you want to be, with the people you want to be with, doing the things you want to do, all while choosing the type of flying you want to do, the type of aircraft you want to fly, getting a steady increase in pay year over year to the point where you are in the top percentile of earners and can live a very comfortable life working 10 days a month, then when it's all done collect 2/3 of your top earning years for the rest of your life. Plus AC get's better passes.

To each their own though...