PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aer Lingus - 6
Thread: Aer Lingus - 6
View Single Post
Old 16th Sep 2013, 19:37
EI-BUD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Mueller said that a merger with another airline would be driven by
complementary markets and that its slots could also be a catalyst. Aer Lingus
controls valuable takeoff and landing slots at Heathrow.
IAG is written all over this in my view. I have always questioned BA's decision to increase DUB LHR to 8 daily. Not saying they cannot make a go of this, but given the sheer lack of slots for long haul and new long haul aircraft coming on stream at a rate of 2 per month. Come next March the demand for slots could be quite different to now.

I see EI being exclusive on DUB and BHD to LHR with EI employing much larger aircraft, 330 on morning serivces ex DUB and possibly 321 ex BHD. BA exiting DUB and BHD would see them gain up to 15 daily slots, though EI would probably need an extra 3 daily BHD slots.

If BE had not signalled exit on LGW, I was not holding out hope for EI at BHD. But given that EI will have this route exclusively and the Euro routes are doing great, I can see EI being the sole carrier.

This probably sounds far fetched, but from my perspective BA is the natural partner for EI, and BA's long haul fleet plans and long haul aspiraitons make this credible. WW has said pension deficit puts them off EI, but question is what is the value of up to 15 prime slots ex LHR over the long term without cutting passenger numbers on Island of Ireland - London flights???