PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IR Question how do you know the entry into a hold just by looking at the HIS or DI
Old 16th Sep 2013, 14:20
wire12

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IR Question how do you know the entry into a hold just by looking at the HIS or DI

Hey all,

I was on the sim practicing different entry’s into the hold but the technique I learned were I know the correct entry into the hold by just looking at the DI or HIS etc it did not work out for this particular hold for the heading I was on. I do not know why or maybe I made a mistake. The technique I have been using for years was giving me a result saying it was a direct entry but it was clearly a parallel entry when I paused. This technique was working fine up to this point.

I want to ask IR pilots what technique do they use when approaching a hold to know what entry it is just by looking at the DI or HSI.

I have copied the technique I use and want to ask is it correct.

First for right turn holdings: Divide your DI or HSI up in the following (clockwise):0-70 deg Teardrop, 70-250 deg Direct and 250-360 Parallell. Place your OUTBOUND holding course in either of the sectors and you`ve got your entry. For left turn holdings its the opposite. 0-110 Parallell, 110-290 Direct and 290-360 Teardrop.

Thanks.