PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Gaining An R.A.F Pilots Brevet In WW II
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2013, 22:10
Danny42C

Sic transit Gloria Mundi.

BEagle,

The grass cutting contractor was a sore trial to us in the old 'Bendix', too. They did their cutting of the more aircraft-sensitive parts after hours, next morning we'd run up the radar and begin to set-up. Immediately the cry arose: "Where's the Offset Marker ?".

Of course, the cutter, the evening before, had simply pulled it up out of its socket and flung it down on the mown grass to the side, then mowed over the socket. (This was just a piece of pipe let into the ground).....Put it back afterward ?...Don't be silly !

Runway Control Corporal was turned out to replace it. The Marker was big enough to see, but the hole, probably covered with mowings, not so easy to discover. Even with a position line through the two Touchdown Markers, and an estimated one through the Truck (1500 yds away) and parallel to the runway, it could take some time to find. If it were pelting with rain, this task was not appreciated. But then, he shouldn't have joined if he couldn't take a joke, should he ?...D.

Coffman Starter (and BEagle),

The very ones ! Bangers about the size of the 'Big Demon' of my schooldays, which cost twice as much as a 'Little Demon' (6d against 3d ?), but you got twice the bang. Indeed, an enamel mug placed over one would reach the satisfactory height of the (three storied) School Chapel.

The Landrover with the PA and loudhailer might have done just as well to roar at them SWO fashion, for all the good the cassettes did.

The townfolk should have been grateful that the birds got the bombs - it might have been worse ! ...D.

Chugalug,

Many thanks for the feast of links, which will keep me happy for quite some time ! Have had another go at 2501 todo. Worked fine as instructed, gave me Pages 1-3, then - no more ! (tried several times, same result). What have I done wrong now ? If you don't mind, will stick with the 'Jever Steam Laundry', although I don't suppose they have as wide a range of types...D.

So ends the 73rd Anniversary of the Battle of Britain. Media interest of the day ? - 'The Great North Run' ! Ah, well.

Goodnight, all,

Danny.