PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flying across the Tasman
View Single Post
Old 15th Sep 2013, 21:17
Bevan666

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yes, I did a similar trip in 2005 in an A36 Bonanza. Here are a few things that stick in my memory;

File flight plans using NAIPS up to Norfolk. However, if you fly VFR (I did - didnt have HF or a sat phone for IFR position reporting), then Auckland will need to hold your SARTIME. You need to ring them (the australian briefing office rang me to let me know!)

Send position reports via relay - there are always aircraft flying overhead and will be reachable on 121.5.

Dont expect to see any shipping - I never saw a boat at all. Yes I was always looking.

Carry a raft, grab bag and wear lifejackets (constant wear types like the heli operators use). We had a bunch of kit, rations in the pockets and each occupant had their own ELB. See EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE - Outdoors Gear, Survival Equipment Review & Survival Information for tips. Assume you will only make it out the door with the kit attached to you. The rest is a bonus.

Ring Lord Howe and Norfolk a few days in advance to confirm they know you are coming AND have fuel. They do run out from time to time, and let me tell you, you don't want to be stuck on Norfolk for a week or two. They are astounded by the number of people who arrive unannounced, on this little island in the middle of nowhere. Fuel status is not usually NOTAMed either.

Dont take the mention of cross winds and turbulence lightly at Lord Howe. We landed in about 10kt of wind, and it gets rough on final.

Know how to calculate a point of no return and a last point of safe diversion. Expect your GPS to report no nearest airfields at TEKEP.

For NZ arrival I entered and departed from Whangarei - the harbour is close so you dont have to pay too much for customs and MAF. Great aero club there.

File flight plans in NZ via IFIS. Get a temporary met service account from metservice for weather. They are different and not integrated at all. (MET is a paid service in NZ).

Your carnet's will not work in the automatic bowsers, even when you are told they will work. People do not usually have a call out fee

Dont assume every airport has AvGas. I turned up in Dunedin on a sunday, and was lucky to get fuel from a heli charter operator who luckily was at work.

Do fly down south around the mountains. It is amazing.

We did about 50 hours of flying, in Feb March. It was just fantastic and good on you for giving it a go. You'll have a ball.

Bevan..