PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - On my way
Thread: On my way
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2003, 19:11
abracadabra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jet breeze

not to put a damper on things, but I would suggest you rack up a few hours on smaller aircraft before stepping up to the 182. Getting a PPL is a solid achievement, but there is little to be gained from going to such a high-performance plane so early. Just as when you learn to drive, you really learn to fly AFTER you have passed your test and have your PPL. Having to make absolutely all the decisions yourself is very different from having your instructor around to suggest what to do. Moving from a 160hp aircraft to over 200 will make a huge difference in your cockpit workload due to the extra speed and power, and probably not something you need being such a young pilot.

Go for your PPL, and by all means experience as many similarly low-powered aircraft during and after your training, but you should understand that a move to the 182 will be a big step up for someone with only a few dozen hours.

As the Dutch say, apparently, take things slowly. You'll save money flying 172s or even 152s and PA38s, and when you're ready, the money you've saved might help you move directly on to a retractable. I don't think the 182 was designed for training or hours-building. Keep it simple early, get some experience, then expand.

Good luck. It's great to hear such enthusiam from a young person. There's too much negativity on this forum.

abracadabra