PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 14th Sep 2013, 14:52
industry insider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, we fly manually and we have CFIT. We use the automatics (maybe incorrectly) and we have CFIT. We have had more manual CFITs than automatic ones thus far, but we need to understand that the new generation APs have only really been with us for 8 years out of say 40 years of NS flying.

Let's extrapolate the 8 years of data to 40 years and see where it could get us to with CFIT if we change nothing. At least we have quantified our risk a little. Then we can make a better assessment of the blend of skills that we should be recruiting, training and flying.

I am far from a luddite but was forced into luddite tendancies in my early career because we didn't even have heading or height hold in the S-76A then again we were shuttling a lot of the time, and it was all single pilot in the early 80s.

But what we did have, and something for which I was and will always be grateful and respectful was some very structured single pilot and two crew line training by some experienced LTCs, something which stood me in very good stead for the many hours and nights I spent in the RHS.