PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter Non-Precision Approaches
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2013, 13:55
Aynayda Pizaqvick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Non-PC Plod,

Thanks for asking the question to CAA and sharing their response as that has confirmed my understanding of things from EU Ops 1 subpart E:

All non-precision approaches shall be flown using the continuous descent final approaches (CDFA) technique unless
otherwise approved by the Authority for a particular approach to a particular runway.
Edit: note that EU Ops 1 is fixed wing... still trying to work out the definitive answer for helicopters...

Basically, unless the approach plate specifically states that it is a non-CDFA approach (eg NDB at Norwich and Manston) then you don't get a choice whether to choose to fly the "dive and drive" technique, you must use the CDFA technique, regardless of if the minima for the NPA are depicted as a MDA or DA.

army_av8r makes an important point - you should be planning your descent to the runway threshold, NOT to the beacon, after all you should be planning to continue your approach to land to a long strip of tarmac, not a bunch of aerials!

However I don't agree that this technique is the correct one for use by RW. If I know the weather is a bit rubbish and on the limits then I can reduce my approach speed to 60 kts and normally make an unhurried approach to the far end of the runway if I need to. If the above is CAA's view then they need to have a think about the specific needs of the RW community and not try apply a once size (doesnt) fit all rule.

Last edited by Aynayda Pizaqvick; 15th Sep 2013 at 20:51.