PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 14th Sep 2013, 11:29
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Fairesrdriver

Every NS pilot,including the newest co-pilots, is capable of flying any mission with the AP coupled modes disengaged.

To infer that this does not happen to military trained pilots. Utter and complete rubbish:

1. The Blackpool accident aircraft was operated by two highly experienced ex military pilots who spent nearly all of their offshore flight time uncoupled.

2. The worse real UA I have been presented with, at night, accidentally set up by a highly experienced ex military pilot.

3. The ETAP ditching, flown into the sea by a highly experienced ex military pilot - the DAFCS with full envelope protection was not even deployed. The aircraft was bing hand flown.

I am an ex military pilot myself.

This phenomenon, if we can call it that, has happened to all manner of pilots with vastly differing experience bases and levels. No one is immune and if you think you are......Swiss cheese hole waiting for alignment alert!!

All offshore approaches, from the HDP to the helidecks are flown uncoupled. Day and Night. The coupler is only used to get the helicopter to the HDP. Even in an EC225.

This final act of flying, is a demanding and intensive skill requirement that is archieved by every NS pilot just like it is all over the world. There are no hiding places for poor handling skills especially at night.

General handling ability is not the culprit here. Specific skill sets, as yet unidentified, maybe.

Fareast Driver - I am guessing Australia. Do not confuse the benign conditions around your island with the demanding environment of the North Sea.

Throughout this progression, training and awareness on the AFCS and the coupler has always been poor. The rules concerning when and how I should use it, non existent. Lets try fixing this **** before we abandon the AFCS in favour of "Hand Flying" - which history proves, provides no protection AT ALL from these events.

I have had two nasty UAs on the NS. Both were reported to my Company as required by law. FDM precludes any attempt for crews to "hide" this kind of event. I do not believe they go unreported BUT they are very rare events, most of which result in accidents.

DB

Last edited by DOUBLE BOGEY; 14th Sep 2013 at 11:32.