PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 14th Sep 2013, 10:41
flyer43

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pilot experience versus competence

Maybe it's time to raise the minimums for co-pilots BEFORE starting off in Offshore flying. Maybe 1500 TT PIC in helicopters would be a good number, at least you'd have decent manipulation skills. I've always been surprised at how low the experience required levels are for Co-pilots all over the world when you are flying in one of the most demanding environments (IFR, Night over water etc)...
It is a misconception to believe that a pilot with umpteen thousand hours is much better than one with only a few hundred. It all depends on the way in which each pilot has been trained, the way in which each pilot applies him/herself, the way in which competence is maintained and verified etc, etc...
Which pilot would be better suited to offshore, multi crew operations? A pilot with 2000 hours crop spraying on Bell 47s who converts to a CPL/ATPL on an EC225, or a pilot who goes straight from a CPL training course, completes a full IR course, then converts onto the EC225 and is monitored and managed through a robust training process?

I recently visited a location where a senior captain with more than 20000 hours had been responsible for several very serious accidents due to lack of competence, thankfully none of them fatal! I've seen various other similar cases which fly in the face of experience versus competence.

A robust system should be in place to assess a new pilot's capabilities. They should then be assigned appropriate training to bring them up to the appropriate standard before initial line training on non-revenue flights. After this decreasing levels of supervision should be implemented to bring them on until they are eventually released to fly with any captain.
This process has been successfully applied by a number of operators for many years.

Lights blue touch paper, stands back and waits for the bang............................