PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Closure Of ScATCC.
View Single Post
Old 14th Sep 2013, 07:30
GAPSTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite fun this I agree.30+ years in man and boy....so I guess I could be in the old boys camp? The company has changed beyond all recognition in that time...well worn reasons and arguments why and how.I'll just add one anecdote if I may...

....a senior manager highly placed in the organisation plugged in with me about 2 years ago.Steady session,nothing out of the ordinary but enough traffic to fully illustrate the task and enough time to talk it through with him.Decent bloke,been in the company some years,no ATC experience.

Over a cuppa afterwards he told me he was amazed to see the job at close quarters.Never had the opportunity (??) before.To cut to the point...he thought we were in effect systems monitors,only taking an active role in the event something went wrong,ie...the planes did their thing with little input from us.

This was a very telling illustration to me of the corporate face of our illustrious company.But more to the point the disconnect (liking the buzzword?) between upstairs/downstairs which in my career and opinion has never been greater.

Good luck for the future!