PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Automation vs Seat-of-the-pants-flying talking as devil's advocate - so no abuse plea
Old 14th Sep 2013, 03:55
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@PA - IFR/VFR isn't the issue - the difference is how a swept-wing jet handles at cruise as opposed to at low altitude.

Originally Posted by flarepilot
douglas strong...unlike airbus strong where the vertical tail falls off
If you want to take a DC-10 up and subject the vertical stab to 1.8x ultimate design load to prove that point, then be my guest - just please understand why I won't be standing anywhere in the vicinity.

douglas strong , you know like all the DC8's that are still flying...and DC3s, and the DC4s which are fire bombers.
Not pressurised in the case of the latter two. And the venerable VC-10 has been flying in RAF service for about as long as the DC-8.

how many 707s and comets are still in use (not military)? not many
Well - to be fair most remaining 707 airframes have been requisitioned by the military for spares and the Nimrods were set to fly another 30 years before our current government decided to scrap them in favour of buying second-hand Rivet Joints.

I stand by what I said...and cables that work hydraulics work just fine in really big planes.
Fine, but I respectfully disagree.

comet...metal fatigue
Only the first model - and the VC-10 and BAC 1-11 that followed had fuselages machined from aluminium billets - there have been none tougher either before or since.

737 pop top?
Specific to the way Aloha used them - if they'd used DC-9s the same would have happened.

yeah...I'll take douglas...esp single digit dougs
Fine, but given the choice, I wouldn't.

Anyway, as fun as this willy-waving is, it's somewhat beside the point. The undeniable truth is that even with the myriad problems facing the industry, it is statistically far safer than it was when DC airliners ruled the sky. I agree with you that there needs to be more attention paid to handflying skills by the industry, but to blame technological advances for this state of affairs is putting the cart before the horse.