PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 13th Sep 2013, 19:45
keithl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thing about pPrune is - when you try to calm things down, you end up inflaming them, and when you try quoting observed fact, you are sure to be accused of making it up. Still, I want to nail this "we could fly in those days" vs "dinosaurs should know when they're extinct" digression.

I'm a sim instructor. Have been for years. FW and RW. Like the doctor, I've seen you all at your embarrassing worst and I've kept it to myself. Because when I was flying, I had bad days, too. People were screwing up on steam-driven old bangers long before they were screwing up on fancy full-colour, automated wizzocopters.

I have seen people so lacking in manual flying skills that the arrival of automation couldn't come too soon and I have seen people so baffled by the automation that they forgot to use their manual flying skills.

Only the detail of the problem has changed. The underlying issue is just the same. Familiarity with, expertise with, practice with, the equipment you are given to fly is what makes a professional, safe pilot. There are no prizes for guessing what I'm going to say next!

Where does that familiarity, that expertise, that practice come from?

TRAINING. And as much of it as you can get.

And don't tell me me about "real world" limitations. This thread is all about where that has got us.

Out.

Last edited by keithl; 13th Sep 2013 at 19:47.