PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Viability of flying to work - opinions please
Old 13th Sep 2013, 17:14
calippl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for all the replies.

This is sounding more and more appealing . On a bad day I can spend a total of four hours on the road. On a very good day it'll be two. So, even factoring in an hour for the flight, flight checks, etc flying should be more time-efficient. And, of course, there's the added bonus of having a fairly accurate idea of how long the commute will take! Saving that extra time would be a real bonus for me. I have horses who have to be fed and cared for morning and evening so the extra time would make a huge difference.

As for the cost, so long as it isn't horrendously more expensive than driving, and it looks like it isn't, I'm good with it. You guys are spot on, time is way more valuable than a few extra dollars and the enjoyment of cruising the skies every day would be worth it. Also agree that it'd be way better for the aircraft to keep her flying as regularly as possible.

In terms of weather, it's not too much of a concern. Summer is bliss! In fall/winter Palomar, and sometimes Ramona, will get some fog. Happy to do IFR - was going to do it anyway - and you're right, there's always the car as a plan B.

zondaracer - that's an interesting article. Thank you.

flyboyike - not too sure about Ramona Motors, only recently moved to the area and live just off the 78 so don't venture into town all the often. Going to check it out though, my husband would love a place like that!

One more question. How difficult is it to carry out some of your own maintenance and which tasks could you do by yourself without having to invest too much money in tools/equipment? My way of thinking is that part of the pleasure in owning something is taking care of it.