PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UPS cargo crash near Birmingham AL
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2013, 11:05
roulishollandais

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Devil LOWEST common DENOMINATOR

Originally Posted by roulette
Aterpster is right about the VEB, according to ICAO and FAA criteria. And note that the standard criteria for approach designs must necessarily be based on some rules taking into account categorisation of aircraft and some factors for lowest common denominator.
(Bold is mine)
Since years I am collecting for fun tens of quotes in media from very high educated people refering to "LOWEST common denominator"...
They are not lapsus but loss of focusing on what is behind a group of four words(four in French, three in English) . It is a good exemple of how something used by (wrong) rote may bring trouble in a logical thought and brain.

Concepts of "HIGHEST common DENOMINATOR" and "LOWEST common MULTIPLE=LCM" are taught to everybody before Highschool and not difficult to understand, and I am sure, roulette, you know them very well, and you are in excellent Company! It warns us seriously about the limit of "logical" thought that we may wait from a pilot at ground, in flight, and in the middle of an approach a little tired with low visibility.

The only way to overcome such failure is replay and replay and replay again any sequence which is developping in parallel brain processes : that is "TRAINING". It needs airline money.

Last edited by roulishollandais; 13th Sep 2013 at 12:45.