PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 13th Sep 2013, 10:17
mary meagher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really enjoyed reading gulliBell's description of his New Zealand operations...and would love to hear more confirmation of operating conditions down under, Fareastdriver says he is probably describing the life of half the world's helicopter pilots! O my.

Going back to the Canadian AAIB report about the close call of the S-92A 200 nm east of St.John's, two conclusions seemed very significant:

11. "If flight crews do not receive recurrent training in unusual attitude recoveries, they are more likely to experience difficulties in recovering from unusual attitudes."

12. "If flight crew members are not trained to recognise and respond to subtle incapacitation, they may not have the confidence to take control from a more experienced pilot."

Shades of San Francisco, and the Bali splashdown!

Bondu pointed out that only good fortune prevented another CFIT.
Ernest K. Gann had something to say on this point in his book. Trouble is that so seldom one has enough time to say "I have control"

Of course the intrepid gulliBell of Down Under says that in his company "if the guy did something hairbrained, the other would surely wack him....."