PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An IFR quandary
Thread: An IFR quandary
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2013, 09:58
Saratogapp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An IFR quandary

Hey PB - what a great post, and right from the heart!

One of the most difficult things that I have ever achieved was to get a proper instrument rating. I managed this when I was at the top of my game and I was about 40 years old and flying frequently. The second hardest thing that I have ever subjected myself to, was to remain current by subjecting myself to a serious re-test every year. When you are flying regularly, then it's reasonably easy to remain competent but there came a time when I decided that the practice and the cost to renew just didn't add up so I dropped it and reverted to being a VFR pilot.

If you can master the intercepts and sector entries, it's all wonderful practice and it sure as hell makes you an accurate pilot but it doesn't make you a smarter pilot. To be areal IFR pilot you have to understand the whole enchilada in a practical sense but you probably don't need to understand how the RMI "ticks"

In your current condition, I would recommend that unless you want the whole, complete and practical understanding of IFR, then stick with your current qualifications AND retain your absolute respect for the weather.