PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - An IFR quandary
Thread: An IFR quandary
View Single Post
Old 13th Sep 2013, 09:23
piperboy84

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An IFR quandary

I have been a VFR pilot for 20 years with about 600 hours with absolutely no aspirations of becoming anything other than a fair-weather duffer faffing around in my spamcan, however I decided early this year to become a “safer” fair weather duffer by trying for my instrument ticket. My sole intent for doing this is was to improve my odds of survival if I ever get into IMC by mistake. Four months ago I attended a 3 day crash course Instrument Ground school at an FBO then took the official FAA written test receiving a passing score of 85%. I decided to commence the flying part of the ticket starting this month, however knowing that passing the written was a complete fluke where a healthy portion of the answers I chose involved guessing at the multiple choice questions I thought I better really learn the subject(s) properly prior to flying. So over the last 3 months I have spent up to 8 hours a day reading and re reading what seems like every training book written on the subject and buying and using both MS FSX, RantXL and ASA instrument prep software which has study modules and the simulated Instrument Written tests just like the one I officially “passed”.

After 3 months of daily reading, studying and repeatedly retaking the written ASA test I have come to the definitive conclusion that my old noggins just cannot grasp the subject in general and VOR,ADF, holding patterns and weather in particular, in fact not only do I not grasp it I don’t have a damned clue, during the hundreds of simulated ASA tests I very rarely get above the passing grade and have decided this IMC rating just isn’t for me.

So here is the question, Do I just forget about trying to be safer pilot and stay a VFR duffer with an extreme phobia of stumbling into weather, or do I go to an instructor and say “here’s the deal mate I want to be trained on how to get out of the ****, I don’t give a rats ass about how an ADF or RMI works, could not give a monkeys about the technical differences between an LDA and a SDF or what fix I can substitute for a knackered Outer Marker and it is completely beyond me why I need to know the height differential of the tropopause over the equator versus the poles , so what I would like to do is have you fly with me into IMC and show me how to get out if it, If it takes 1 hour, fine, if it takes a one hundred hours so be it”

Any suggestions/thoughts/comments