PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 13th Sep 2013, 05:44
gulliBell

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No, what I'm suggesting is more of the same doesn't seem to be working in the NS. Perhaps it's time to look wider afield and take a fresh look at things, encompass even what might seem on the face of it to be extreme views. As we all know there is more than one way to get the job done safely.

What I'm not suggesting is transposing my environment to yours: it's horses for courses. Your flash modern horse just wouldn't work in my environment, it might get in the air but some of the time it wouldn't get back, not unless you can creep up a river visually when the weather is below IFR. Our old busted arse helicopters aren't dropping in the tide, our bears are happy despite getting rained on occasionally, and the client seems happy. With all this simplicity surrounding us we just haven't seen the holes in the Swiss cheese coming into unfortunate alignment yet. Introducing complexity into the equation is likely to change things for the worse, certainly in our environment.

So I'm advocating simplicity, reliance on experience and common sense, and 2 pilots up the front who would whack each other very vigorously if either saw the other do something that they shouldn't, or not do something they should.