PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 13th Sep 2013, 05:28
DOUBLE BOGEY

Received 18 Likes on 4 Posts
Gullibell, I am sure you are really good at what you do. However, I would suggest you have Been lucky thus far - if you actually operate in the manner you describe!!

The statistics indicate, that more often than not, these events occur to experienced pilots. Like you purport to be!!!

You ought to at least recognise, that flying in marginal VMC (and I would class scud running up river banks as marginal) below mandated limits, in what you describe as a "Busted Arse" helicopter without AP, having the opportunity to train only every three years, leaves you with very little margin for error.

I started on a S341 in Germany flying pax in the IF corridor, IMC without even a SAS. I was young, dumb and utterly naive. I now operate the most capable and sophisticated helicopters ever built. I have seen both ends and I know which end is safer. Sophistication enhances safety only when the Pilot fully understands it. Your post implies to me that you prefer scud running to even attempting to progress. There is nothing to fear in the modern cockpit provided the crew are correctly trained.

The worst aspect of your post is you almost seem proud of what you are doing. I feel sorry for the passengers subjected to such a shoddy operation. They deserve a lot better. You deserve a lot better.

Read your posts again........

You are actually suggesting we solve our problems by throwing away our modern helicopters and replacing them with helicopters with "Broken Bottoms", serviced by engineers who get only 6 hours rest in 24, doing little to no training, no checking at all, removing all known VMC limits, stocking the North Sea with Sharks (to motivate us to stay out of the water - your words), disabling the heaters (Kristiandsund Bears will love that), burning the checklists and manuals and replacing CRM and MCC with a mandate to inflict Physical Violence for any transgressions, with the sole aim of offering the Oil Companies a service at £1k per flight hour.

You should be in management!!!

Having said that, stay safe and I wish you luck. Lots of it.

DB

Last edited by DOUBLE BOGEY; 13th Sep 2013 at 05:59.