PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Systems exam this month........feedback
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2003, 14:50
RowleyUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheers Dean....I hope your right!

Anyway......followin any interest or help from schools or people in the know, i decided to turn to my only hope and asked Jeeves!!!

The question went along the lines................

After the power stroke, what valves are open?

This is his answer.......................

Shortly before the piston reaches the top dead center of its stroke, the fuel, atomized by high pressure is injected into the combustion chamber. The fuel is ignited by the high temperature of the air and continues to burn until the charge is consumed. The burning charge rapidly builds up a high pressure which acts upon the piston, forcing it downward on the power stroke.

Fig. 0-3d. just before the piston reaches the end of the power stroke, the exhaust valves open, releasing the gases to the atmosphere. The piston then uncovers the air inlet ports. By this time the exhaust gases have expanded to the point where the pressure is lower in the cylinder than in the air-box. The cycle is then repeated.

So is it the Outlet or both???

I reckon its the outlet!

How do you know the results could be here tomorrow??? It normally takes two weeks and given that there was an appeal on one of the questions, i can only assume that this will give the CAA an excuse to delay the postin of the results!!!