PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Viability of flying to work - opinions please
Old 12th Sep 2013, 21:26
calippl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Viability of flying to work - opinions please

So, I'm currently a PPL student and loving every minute of it. Upon completion of my licence, husband and I are looking at purchasing something along the lines of an older Cessna 172 for recreational flying (weekend day trips, overnight trips).

However, it occurred to me that flying to work may be a viable option. Both work and home are within 2 miles of small(ish) airfields/airports. The airfields are 19 nm apart. Would be keeping my aircraft at the airfield close to home anyway and daily parking next to work is $3 per day (possibly free Mon-Fri). So far as I'm aware there are no landing fees. Both locations have control towers and I live in an area that has fair weather almost all year round.

At the moment I drive 32 miles from home to work and 32 miles back. The journey can take between 1 hour and 2 hours depending on traffic. My car isn't great on gas mileage so probably spending around $300 per month on gas.

Based on your experience, do you think flying rather than driving is viable/comparable, in terms of both cost and time?

Just as a side note I would drive from home to the airfield then cycle to work (flat and not too far, takes about 7-10 mins) from the airport.