PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 12th Sep 2013, 17:43
keithl

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
However, does the existing sim training cover only the legally-required minimum for proficiency checks? Or is it possible to have additional time, if sim slots are available?
It IS possible. Indeed it 's what I do. Pure training (S92 at present) on instrument approach procedures. However, in my opinion - which many here have heard repeatedly from me - pilots do not get enough pure training. It is often included in the OPC, but as HC has indicated, they are not always in a receptive frame of mind when checking is the aim.

I recently tried to start monthly groundschool sessions, just to answer the sort of technical questions which are always cropping up. The pilots were very enthusiastic about the idea - but couldn't be released from the flying programme, there were no "spares".

Training doesn't earn revenue. It is therefore seen as a drain. Operators do what they have to, and if I get to do pure training sim sessions it's because of some fancy footwork by CTCs.

CAA requires OPCs. I'd like to see the outcome of this incident being a requirement, so many hours a year, for pure training.

Last edited by keithl; 12th Sep 2013 at 17:56.