PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Other ways to spend 50 grand.
View Single Post
Old 10th Dec 2001, 05:28
twinkletoes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure where you are going with this one but as I have an opinion and am unable to keep it to myself...

People spend 50 grand trainning to become a CPL (in the UK) for, amongst others 3 main reasons.
They love flying.
They want four stipes as a status symbol.
They can't 'pull' any other way.
These are all linked by the dream of an job involving very little work an over inflated pay check and lots of holiday. (With a few excptions).

The reason trainning is so expensive is due to. Oil comapnies, government and the CAA.
Take a look the cost of trainning in one of the most popular aviation trainning enviroments the USA. Last year the cost of trainning including ppl, ir, cpl, multi, cfi, cfii and CRM was approx 18000 pounds and you would have come out if it all with at least 750 hrs+.
The CAA have to take their fair share of the blame. For example under the FAA system you are looking at 5 intergrated exams at 60 dollars each. Flight tests and renewals which are free+aircraft hire if you choose to test directly with the FAA as oppesed to an approved examiner, and cut and dry licence issue which from memory is also free.
The FAA also have a question data bank open to all which makes the groundschool/publishers able to provide literature at affordable prices. The FAA also produce their own books which are even cheaper (but less colourful) that cover all required knowlage.
The FAA are not however an 'old boys' network making aviation a possible career open to a wider section of the population as long as the candidate has the drive, intelligence and determination.
The extortionate cost of landing fees also has plays a big part in the UK US divide however I beleive this is probably down to government and possibly the oil companies.

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: twinkletoes ]

[ 10 December 2001: Message edited by: twinkletoes ]