PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 12th Sep 2013, 13:08
26500lbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe, but in the past 10 years or so I've been flying IFR offshore I've never had an autopilot to rely on so automation systems induced degradation of situational awareness has never been an issue. Neither have I ever sat in a sim let alone done any training in one. The oil company loves it, no sim training to pay for, and a very cheap basic IFR helicopter that virtually always gets through whatever the weather.

What I have found is if the weather is really bad I go VFR, because sticking to the rules under the IFR just doesn't get you where you need to go. I'm just astounded that a modern 2-crew helicopter can come to grief in a way where "technical aspects" don't seem to be involved. Maybe there's an argument to made to go back to basic stick-and-rudder flying and common sense airmanship from time-to-time, as part of a wider structured training regime, and just forget about all the complex automation stuff that time and time again we see giving rise to holes in the Swiss cheese.
One of, if not THE, most bizarre replies to this thread.