PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 12th Sep 2013, 10:13
Hummingfrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SASLESS

Please explain to me why a TRE/IRE would do training AFTER the Check Ride?
The reasoning behind that I suppose is that the main reason you are in the SIM is to complete the mandatory checkride.

In my case with the 365N2 we had to go to France to use a SIM - we usually went with a Capt and Co-pilot along with a company TRE. We had 4 x 2hr SIM sessions 2 as HP and 2 as NHP and they were very good value as you would expect. We were treated to the delights of complex failures, insiduous failures and down right scary failures!! This was of great value.

The training after the checkride was also good value as we could ask for any failure we wanted - fenestron failure on transition being a favourite, along with single engine failure, heavy, just as you rotated to come off the deck.

I am a great fan of the SIM as it allows complex and maybe dangerous failures to be practised in a safe environment. Though you do get so involved with flying the a/c you can actually believe it is the real thing!!

I was lucky we had a good SIM and TREs who flew the line and knew how the company operated. I hope that that system can be protected from the bean counters!!

HF