PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 12th Sep 2013, 10:02
dakarman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think its fair to say that I have a practical mind about the risks. I have been travelling on rotary and fixed wing world wide in the oil industry for 17 years and I vaguely recall once landing early due to a dodgy fuel gauge on a helicopter so statistically I know that things will be fine.

If I was really concerned after all, I would take a perceived 'safer' seat at the back by a window but obviously my safety concern does not override my curiosity at the little I can see on the screens. I did once have a trip back from WoS sitting on the pilots briefcase with headset on which was amazing - albeit slightly uncomfortable.

This forum does however seem to be getting a lot of view and response and if any minor point (i.e. not too expensive) could be improved even slightly (relocating the door release for example) it may just save another life, maybe in 20 years, maybe tomorrow.

I will have a look at the door next time I am onboard, after all the only place you can see all the flight info - albeit with a twisted neck - is row one single seat. Although from that position I could hardly smack the pilot upside the head if he was doing it wrong (and I am kidding and would never ever consider this to those who think I am being serious!!)

With regards operating the door release correctly, it does constitute part of the training however I just have a slight concern that in a panic this will be forgotten in the need to escape, Particularly as you have up to 4 people all trying to get out of this door. Maybe I misjudge people in this situation and it is after all very very rare that this will happen in exactly these circumstances.

Having the quick release adjacent to the door with a safety design to prevent coming off in flight (seems like a good idea) would give an instantaneous better option. If anything it seems slightly odd to have it where it is now. Please note that generally the passengers rarely open the door themselves, my comment comes from having seen the door opened in the normal way many times.

I would also like to point out that from a couple of brief conversations yesterday that the pilots opinion of 225 vs 332 which I have learnt from here is not getting to the workforce very well yet. I spoke to 2 people yesterday attempting to point out what I had learnt from here about a 225 being much safer and it came straight back to 'gearbox broke = 225 bad' (note that personally I have followed the story about the 225 and don't hold this opinion myself)